Tuesday, August 22, 2006

something real sad

before i start with any stories, i just needed to blog this.

couple of days ago, mom came into the kitchen and brought with her that day's Wan Bao. she asked if i remembered this distant uncle,told her i did...vividly as he was present at my cousin's wedding in June. That..was the last time i saw him...

my mom was tearing as she spoke to me about him. my mom cries easily, i guess, i kinda inherit this from her.. she said it was a mystery as to how my uncle died. she said that he was knocked down by a speeding bus...you know those buses that pick people up in m'sia and send them to work in Singapore? my uncle works in Woodlands, i guess, these buses would be common vehicles which he will see as he goes to work each day.

mom said that he was waiting at the traffic light to cross the road and... he just waited. no one knew how the speeding bus deviated from its lane and crashed towards my uncle. the bus driver didn't even know that he had knocked my uncle. he just went on driving. i heard that he was badly smashed...

mom then went on to say that he happened to pick up this very new bicycle the other day. didn't know who the bicycle belonged to and he just took it home. I guess my mom can be supersitious at times, but the story kinda spooked me out...but what she said later, really got me tearing as well...

she said that the police who were at the scene told my relatives that in all their years of clearing accident scene experiences, they had never seen anyone who died with only 20 cents in their pocket...that really broke my heart...my throat started to become cramped and all..tight and couldnt swallow...of coz my mom started crying uncontrollably...she said that 'na li you ren zhi you liang mao qian zai shen shang de?'...'lang mao qian leh'..

i was speechless...i never knew and thought that some people died without any money...what was painful was that no one knew my uncle did not have any money, that he was poor and all...he last had drinks with my other uncles prior to the day he got knocked down and bought durians for his kids...

my mom spent many nights at his funeral...i didn't go...i guess i only knew him by face and not even by name...i just call him uncle all the time...then i remembered, some days ago, that when i was younger, he actually played with me and stuff...made me laugh and bought me sweets i guess..

funny how things come flooding into your mind when you thought you have forgotten about it...

No comments: