Thursday, June 29, 2006

the extraction process

the appointment was to be 830pm weds night...i rushed home after work, had my last solid meal which was only sauteed short beans with mushroom and i went off to the dentist with my mom...she drove me there...she was really sweet and she stayed in the car and waited for me for an hour...thanks mom!

by the time i got into the doc's room, it was about 845pm...Doc Wong started explaining to me some details and asked if i was ready to go ahead...he cited that my swell healed pretty well and explained what were the likely consequences as well as rare consquences...like erm 1 out 100 will forever be numb due to the nerves being too near the tooth etc...sounded frightening...yet i was ready to go ahead..hell...i was already there..if i don't do it...i'd never do it ever...and so...when he finally asked again...i just nodded my head..and we went ahead with the minor op...

doc wong first used a cotton bud and swap something in my inner cheek...shortly he asked me to close my eyes and later i realised he was injecting the anesthetic..couldnt feel the jab...and he went on with two others..could only feel one...but wasn't painful...anyhow...the numbness sets in within five mins and the op started...

he started with what i thought was a drill...in my mind i was thinking that he was drilling down my top wisdom tooth and then going to break it into pieces...i was like..hmm..i should just go to sleep...but the drilling sound was too loud...doc was nice...kept saying that i was doing good and asked me to breathe through my nose...and when i might feel a bit of pain...he informed me as well...cool...i was assured and left everything to him...

he was funny as well...he said that extracting the wisdom tooth tells something about the person..he said that the harder the tooth comes out...the more stubborn the person is...so he asked if i was stubborn...he then said that he didn't think i was...i then told him that i am in fact...pretty stubborn...i guess he soon found out when he tried to take out my teeth...when he told me he was done with the bottom tooth...i was surprised and thought it was actually the top tooth that was being removed...he said i had lost of sense of feeling as such i couldnt really differentiate...it was great actually...no pain...no feel...it was cool coz i expected worse...i'm glad it wasn't all that terrible...

next came the top tooth...i could feel it when he tried pulling the tooth out...and i thought i was going to feel pain...didn't...phewz...but he definitely had a hard time pulling it out...i can't imagine if the doc was female...prolly worse...no wonder Chuck said that it's best to have a strong male doc...thank goodness...

the whole process took half an hour...was over before i knew it..fantastic...i felt my face swell..though when i checked the mirror...i looked pretty normal...thanks to me having chubby cheeks...i guess...

so i was told that i'd have five days mc and i should not drink hot water as it makes the bleeding worse...i have to finish the antibotics and i should sleep early before the pain sets in...was also told that about two days later, my face might swell...doc says it's normal...i hope i dont have bad blue black...else i'd looked like i was being bashed...but if i did...i'd take a pic...haha

anyhow...the pain set in late at night...was quite uncomfortable and i took painkillers and the antibotics...i guess unknowingly i fell asleep...woke up kinda early...like 9ish...sighz...didn't sleep well...couldnt take nap even...can just feel the mild pain that keeps me up...oh and i had to sleep on the right side coz when i slept on the left...it just makes it slightly even more painful...

oh and i got my teeth back in all their full glory..as in they were not cut up into 3 pieces as many people told me, they came out in one piece...gosh...today i washed them and realised that some gums are still stuck to them and i had a hard time getting rid of it...now they are in this small canister and i guess i will see them again sometime later...maybe i'd take a pic as well...hahah...

anyhow..i am happy that the ordeal was over...and all the terrible stories i heard werent exactly that scary...haha it's better to experience it myself and erm...it's not that bad as i thought it would be...glad i finally did it...hee...:)

No comments: